1. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/ gas mark 6. Pre-heat a deep baking dish with 1tbsp of butter.
2. In a saucepan bring the cream to a low simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Peel and slice the potatoes. They need to be around 1.5cm deep.
4. Cover the bottom of the greased baking dish with a quarter of the sliced potatoes, overlapping the slices. Pour in a quarter of the cream and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese and repeat the layers 3 more times.
5. Dot the top layer of potatoes with the remaining butter and cover in foil. Reduce the temperature to 180°C and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for a further 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Top Tip: To save time you can make this recipe the day in advance, for re heating pour a little hot cream over the top and cook ‘till bubbling hot.